These little critters can release a smell to ward off predators that smells like coriander!
Amazing Facts About the Stink Bug
- Stink bugs mainly inhabit China, Japan, and Taiwan. They were accidentally introduced to the United States in shipping containers, where they became an agricultural pest.
- They are more correctly referred to as “Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs”.
- They emit a smell through small holes in their abdomen which is similar to that of coriander.
- The odour stink bug releases protects it from being eaten by birds and lizards and will release it if touched or disturbed.
- The male stink bug uses vibrational signals to communicate with females.
- The Stink Bug’s diet consists mainly of fruits and vegetables, especially peaches, apples, and green beans.
- Type: Invertebrate
- Lifespan: Several months to one year
- Size: 0.67 in long and 0.67 wide
- Weight: Unknown
- Habitat: Indoors, fruit trees, vegetables
- IUCN: Not listed