Even more fearsome than the cats we know today, saber-toothed cats had long, sharp teeth that stick out of their mouths…scary!
Amazing Facts About the Saber-Toothed Cat
- A family of cats which were recognised by their elongated teeth in the upper jaw, the most commonly known one being the Saber-Toothed Tiger.
- The name “tiger” is misleading as they were part of a different sub family from tigers
- Their long teeth were probably used to clamp onto prey to stop them from getting away.
- Before they went extinct they had been very widespread, having been found on many continents across the world.
Saber-Toothed Cat Extinction
- Saber-Toothed Cats went extinct about 10, 000 years ago.
- Their extinction occurred shortly after one of their prey species, the mastodon, went extinct.
- Type: Mammal
- Diet: Carnivore
- Size: 3' (1m) long
- Weight 280 kg
- Lifespan: 40 years
- Scientific Name: Smilodon spp.
- Status: Extinct