These majestic animals cross vast distances in huge numbers when migrating to find food and water.
Amazing Facts About the Blue Wildebeest
- Blue Wildebeest got name as their coat has a blue sheen.
- There are around 1.5 million living in the Serengeti alone! They are widespread in many areas of Africa.
- Their main defence from predators is living in a group. Wildebeest stick together and move in herds to be more safe.
- They can run up to 40 mph, which is pretty fast! Although, unfortunately for them, not as fast as lions or cheetahs.
Blue Wildebeest Migration
- They migrate as many as 1000 miles each year – that’s longer than the length of Britain and around the same distance from Minnesota to Louisiana. That distance would take around 20 hours to drive.
- They have a dangerous migratory route, during their migration they cross two rivers – both of which are crocodile infested.
- Type: Mammal
- Size: 58 inches
- Weight: 600lbs
- Life span: 40 years
- Habitat: Savanah, grasslands
- Diet: Herbivore
- Scientific Name: Connochaetes taurinus